Assistance For Tenants

Real Estate Investment Services (REIS) realizes that life does not always go the way you want it to. There are places and programs that will help.

Most Provide For Temporary Assistance with your Rent ,Utility, Prescriptions, Food, or Clothing. Please ask.

 ***NEW April 22, 2020***

CITY of Tacoma Rental Assistance Program   

Rental Housing Assistance Program Launched--$1.2 Million Available for Tacoma Households 

The City has established a rental housing assistance program to assist individuals and families who cannot afford part or all of their rent due to hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is funded from the City’s housing trust fund, which has redirected $1.2 million to respond to COVID-19 to help build community resiliency and stabilize households.


Up to $1,000 Award Available per Qualifying Household

Qualifying households are eligible to receive a one-time award of up to $1,000 per household, which is paid directly to the landlord.


Eligibility Requirements:

To apply for the program, participants must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Households located in the City of Tacoma
  • Households who have experienced loss of employment or reduction in wages due to COVID-19.
  • Households at or below 50% Area Median Income for Pierce County
Application Deadline is May 6, 2020

If you meet the eligibility requirements and would like to apply, please fill out this form by Wednesday, May 6, 2020. The majority of the funds will be awarded through a lottery.

Other Resources: 

Our Lady Queen of Heaven Spanaway
For Residents of Spanaway, Roy & parts of Parkland only


All Saints Community Services
Must have Puyallup zip code


Asbury Methodist Church Tacoma


Catholic Community Services Tacoma


City of Tacoma Utilities


Helping Hand House Puyallup
Adults with Minor Children


Love Inc Tacoma


Metropolitan Development Council
Must live in the Tacoma City Limits


New Connections Tacoma
Assists Ex-offenders only


Water Assistance - Apply in person      


Pierce County Community Services Lakewood
Must live outside of Tacoma & Lakewood


Salvation Army Tacoma


St Vincent De Paul


Supportive Services for Veteran Families


Veterans Assistance Fund Tacoma
Must be a Veteran


For further assistance you can call United Way of Pierce County


Subsidized Rent Programs & Emergency Housing

King County Housing Authority
600 Andover Park W, Tukwila, WA 98188


Housing Authority of Thurston County
1206 12th Avenue SE in Olympia, WA


Phoenix Housing Network - Catholic Community Services
7050 South G St Tacoma, WA 98408


Pierce County Housing Authority
1323 S Yakima, Tacoma, WA 98405


Tacoma Housing Authority
602 S Wright Ave,Tacoma, WA 98418



Pierce County assistance agencies and programs.

Helping Hand House

Homeless Shelter

4321 2nd St SW, Puyallup · (253) 848-6096


Pierce County Housing Programs

Public Service & Government

3602 Pacific Ave Ste 200, Tacoma · (253) 798-4400


Pierce County Veterans Bureau

1305 Tacoma Ave S Ste 104, Tacoma · (253) 798-7449


Fish of Puyallup Valley - Puyallup

PO Box 202

Puyallup, WA - 98371
(253) 848-5240


Department of Community Services - PIERCE COUNTY

3602 Pacific Avenue, Suite 200

Tacoma, WA - 98409
(253) 798-6936


Human Rights and Human Services Department - TACOMA

747 Market, Room 836

Tacoma, WA - 98402
(253) 5915042

United Way of Pierce County - Puyallup

1501 Pacific Ave.

Puyallup, WA - 98371
(253) 272-4263


 Families Unlimited Network serves the zip codes of 98466 and 98467. They are based in University Place Washington. Phone (253) 460-3134. The non-profit offers rent and utility assistance if the applicant has a disconnect notice or pay or vacate notice.

 Community Action Programs – Pierce County Community Services - Provides financial assistance, including housing, to low income Pierce County residents. Phone: 866-223-1359

Gig Harbor/Peninsula FISH Food Bank – The non-profit administers both rental and utility assistance to Key Peninsula and Gig Harbor residents. Phone: 253-858-6179

Metropolitan Development Council - located at 721 S. Fawcett, Tacoma, WA 98402 - Offers low income housing and rent help for low-income families and individuals. Other assistance may include help with child care for homeless families, loans to pay rent as part of eviction prevention, funds for utility bills, or family counseling. Phone: 253-597-6728, or read more on Metropolitan Development Council of Pierce County.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven - which is part of Saint Vincent de Paul, is a charity in the Tacoma Washington area that assists Pierce County residents with rent, utilities, bus tickets, and gas. In addition, the organization provides outreach services and housing counseling to residents living in specified boundaries within the following zip codes: 98387, 98445, and 98580. Phone number: 253-537-5266

Tacoma Assistance Human Rights and Human Services Department are starting to create a Centralized Intake Program for all Housing Related Services. Call (253) 682-3401

Tacoma Housing Authority
Location is 902 S L St
Tacoma, WA 98405
(253) 207-4400
They operate low income housing programs, provide section 8 HUD vouchers as well as other services. Section 8 from HUD is the main government rental and low income housing program. Referrals are also given to homeless prevention, job, budget, and debt programs.

Helping Hand House administers the homeless prevention program. Based in Puyallup (253) 682-3401. If you have children, then the program can offer limited financial assistance for paying monthly rent or back rent to families with children in Pierce County. You need to have an eviction notice to apply. Helping Hand House is committed ending and preventing family homelessness Pierce County, both over short and long term. If you have an eviction notice, you may get rent help. Call 253-848-6096. Access rental assistance Monday 10:00 am to 10:30 am.

Pierce County Veterans Bureau (phone number 253-798-7449) can offer various forms of help to low-income and homeless veterans in Pierce County. Find help with rent, utility and heating bills and food assistance.

St. Francis Cabrini Church covers the parish of zip codes 98499, 98439 and JBLM. Up to $100 may be paid out for rent or other bills. Clients range from single moms to the working poor, seniors, and vulnerable.  In addition to the money for rent, there may also be furniture for an apartment and other aid. 5715 108th St SW, Lakewood, WA, 98499, phone (253) 655-7837.

Saint Martin of Tours- located at 2303 54th Ave E, Fife, Washington (phone (253) 970-9037) runs a multitude of housing and rental programs. Also access landlord and tenant dispute resolution.

Lakewood Area Shelter Association – May offer rental, energy, and food assistance to Lakewood Washington Area residents. Phone number: 253-532-5320 Address is 8956 Gravelly Lake Dr SW, Lakewood, WA, 98498. Call (253) 682 – 3401.

All Saints Community Services may have one time per year emergency rent help for Puyallup low income tenants only. Funding is limited. Location is 204 6th Ave SW, Puyallup, WA, 98371. Call (253) 848-2000.

Transitional Family Housing of Tacoma Washington can offer case management, guidance, and housing. Phone: (253) 272 - 1532.

Tyler Square Transitional Housing from the Rescue Mission is for homeless and those on the verge of eviction. Case management, education, budgeting and more is for guests. Get help in locating low income apartments in Pierce County when ready to leave. There may be possible referrals to grants or loans for paying first month’s rent or a security deposit for those leaving the shelter. 3202 S Tyler St, Tacoma, WA, 98408, (253) 682 - 3401.

Plateau Outreach Ministries (Pierce and King County areas)
Address is 1806 Cole St, Enumclaw, WA, 98022
(360) 825-8961
The program is known as Samaritan Project. Emergency Assistance for rent is only offered to some parts of Pierce County. But eviction help, funds, and more is for low income tenants in City of Enumclaw and Buckley, Wilkeson, Black Diamond, Burnette, Carbonado, South Prairie and Greenwater who are in need.

Saint Nicholas Catholic Church - provides services on a limited basis. The non-profit offers low to moderate income rental and housing assistance to residents of the zip codes of 98329, 98332, 98335, 98349, 98351, 98394 and 98395 only. Financial assistance applies to individuals and families, but all forms of cash aid is limited. Address is Rosedale Ave NW, Gig Harbor WA, dial (253) 851-0554.

Martin Luther King Jr. Housing Development Agency - phone 253-597-4804, offers eviction prevention services. Need to have 3 day notice of eviction. Get help with paying first month’s rent and deposits.

Tacoma Salvation Army (call 253-627-3980) accepts applications for rental assistance on Monday and Tuesday 8am to 10am.

St. Vincent de Paul is also part of the Saint Andrew's Catholic Church in Tacoma. This church can provide some limited rental, mortgage, or housing assistance for those living within Parish boundaries. Funding is limited as it is from local donations. Also provide referrals to non-profits, charities, and government programs obtain basic needed furniture or other support. Call (253) 863 - 4394

United Way - Get information and referrals from the United Way Help Line. Call 253-572-4357. The Pierce County United Way offers referrals to local resources for financial assistance in paying rent and housing expenses.

Community Outreach - for zip codes of 98390 and 98391 within St. Andrew parish borders. Funding is very limited. There may be rent help in this zip code of Sumner WA, and dial (253) 863-4394 for details.

Housing, shelter, and rental grants are available using the Pierce County referral services. There are non-profits that operate a soup to nuts housing agency. They can provide assessment, free advice and legal aid. Also get referrals to Tacoma and Pierce County emergency shelter, transitional, rent programs or affordable housing. Services offered to qualified families include eviction prevention, homelessness prevention, government grants, rapid rehousing, and referral for housing or shelter services. Call the United Way 211.

Agape House – The charity offers Christian based transitional housing for men, small families, and women. Call 682-1971

Associated Ministries – They are a member of Coordinated Entry. People facing eviction can call this service to help find information on resources to stay in their homes or apartments. Clients may be linked to rent programs or homeless prevention. In addition, it offers multiple housing assistance programs to help homeless people find shelter. Intake number is 253-682-3401.

Guadalupe House – Offers housing and shelter. Call 572-6582

Helping Hand House – Call 848-6096 for housing support and advice. Services help families who are able to work too.

 King County assistance agencies and programs.

When facing a financial emergency, charities and non-profits in King County may assist. Organizations offer free food, provide funds to help with rent or security/utility deposits, offer mortgage help or foreclosure prevention services, and much more.

Low income and struggling Seattle area residents can get help from many resources, including government assistance, as noted below. Or residents can get their basic needs met, such as free school supplies for their kids, eye exams, Christmas toys, or work clothes.

Hopelink        (425) 869-6000

Assistance with bills

Find information on various agencies, charities, and non-profits. If you live in King county, Redmond Washington based Hopelink has several offices throughout the area that offer residents a variety of short- and long-term assistance programs. People who apply to and are accepted into the Hopelink program are referred to various services and programs that provide short term help with bills, relief and they will also help them become self-sufficient. Some of the services include:


Food Aid
Hopelink also provides struggling families in King County and the Seattle area with food for survival and nutritional education for self-sufficiency. At each of their five centers throughout the Washington area, Hopelink has food banks or soup kitchens that offer groceries or meals from every nutritional group, as well as baby items and personal care products to people who need help. Locate a food pantry near you.

Eviction Prevention
If you have a home or live in an apartment now, and if you are a family in danger of losing your home or being evicted in a crisis, Hopelink offers an eviction prevention program that can help to pay for a portion of the monthly rent needed to prevent eviction.

First Month's Rent
When a low or moderate income family establishes a new home or moves into an apartment, even if it is for the first time, Hopelink will offer these families and individuals a housing assistance program that can help to pay a portion of the high costs of settling into a new apartment, such as money for the first month’s rent and security deposits. Grants are often used, and find other ways to get help with security deposits.

Emergency Financial Assistance
In certain cases, Hopelink can even help people with those unexpected and emergency costs which might make the difference between a family going hungry or homeless, losing their utility service, and the family surviving.

Energy Bill Assistance
This is a federal government program, and it is known as the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This program will assist low income homeowners and renters with paying for their winter heating bills. The program can also pay for furnace-repair costs. In addition, Puget Sound Energy has the HELP Program (PSE HELP) which help assist low income renters and homeowners with paying for their monthly PSE bills.

This is only a sampling of their programs. Hopelink has several locations throughout the King County Washing and Seattle area, including in Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and more. Contact them at 425-869-6000.

Solid Ground is another organization that offers Seattle and King County residents resources and assistance. The programs range from emergency housing help as well as transitional or permanent housing for homeless and about-to-be-homeless people. The number is 206.694.6700, but they only focus on supporting the homeless in the King County region.

Contact Solid Ground at 1501 North 45th Street, Seattle, WA 98103-6708, phone number 206.694.6700 Other programs include transitional shelter. Click more information on Solid Ground assistance programs.

Assistance from the Central Area Motivation Program organization

  • Food Aid : The CAMP organizations food bank is open Wednesdays from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. as well as Thursdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. In addition, home deliveries are made on Mondays and Tuesdays to homebound individuals living in the following nearby ZIP codes: 98112, 98122, and 98102. If interested in applying or learning more, call (206) 812-4970.
  • Energy Bill Assistance: CAMP also helps Seattle and King County households with home-heating bills through two programs. The first is the federal government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the second program is Puget Sound Energy's HELP Program. It is possible for applicants to receive cash grants and assistance through both PSE/HELP and LIHEAP in the same program year, which will go a long way towards helping people pay bills.

Contact the Central Area Motivation Program organization at (206) 812-4940. They are headquartered at 722 18th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122

Financial assistance in King County for rent, energy bills, food, and other expenses

The Auburn Food Bank offers limited financial assistance to on average a couple dozen families per month. They provide eviction prevention services; funds for paying water, electric and gas bills; prescription medications. A qualified person can only receive help once per year. Dial (253) 833-8925.

Ballard Food Bank (phone (206) 789 - 7800) will help only a couple people per month, and will pay up to $75 towards their rent. People in northwest Seattle will most likely receive the help.

American Legion may be able to assist veterans in King County if provided enough notice. The organization distributes cash grants to pay for back rent to prevent an eviction, utility or water bills, move in expenses and security deposits. Proof of eviction or homeliness is needed. Food, referrals to medical care, and other support is administered too. The main office is at 915 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA, 98174. Call (206) 341-8262

City of Tukwila offers a one time, lifetime grant for heating bills or maybe rental costs. 6300 Southcenter Blvd, Tukwila, Washington, 98188, phone (206) 433 – 7180

Federal Way Caregiving requires in person applications. They only support members of the Federal Way school district. One time rent and moving cost assistance, free motel vouchers, and other housing programs are available. The location is 345 S 312th St, Federal Way, Washington, 98003.

Kent Food Bank and Emergency Services is a pledge type program. Money may be used in emergencies for paying Puget Sound gas and electric bills, eviction prevention (no move-in), and paying water bills. (253) 520-3550

Mercer Island Youth and Family Services may have available emergency financial assistance for basic needs, including utility bills (water, gas, electric and sewer) as well as rent. There is also a food pantry at the Luther Burbank Administration Building on the island. Telephone (206) 275-7611

Plateau Outreach Ministries - The Samaritan Project/Emergency Assistance offers case management and shelter. In addition, to those who qualify, there is the possibility of assistance for prescriptions, eviction prevention, money to pay for move-in costs, utilities, and propane costs. 1806 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington, 98022, dial (360) 825 - 8961

Queen Anne Helpline only has resources for Magnolia and Queen Anne residents. Address is 311 W McGraw St, Seattle, WA, 98119, call (206) 282-1540.

The Catholic Community Services Emergency Assistance program helps families, single adults, seniors, and people with disabilities in King County. The agency can assist with a variety of emergency as well as basic needs. Services include rental assistance and eviction prevention, move-in assistance, and utility bill assistance. There are also programs for shut-off prevention as well as information and resource referral to other King County resources.

The agency can also coordinate short-term case management, emergency motel vouchers (qualified families with children under age 18 only), food bags and cards (when available). Transportation can be addressed by bus tickets, and this is based on availability. To access their services, please call the intake line for the geographic area for updated information as well as eligibility.

  • Seattle and South King County: Phone - (253) 850-2523
    Burien, Covington, Federal Way, Renton, and SeaTac: Fridays, 10:00 am -12:00 pm
    All other SKC Cities and Seattle: They can dial First and Third Thursdays of each month from 2:00-3:00 pm
  • East King County Catholic Community Services is at (425) 213-1963 x2
    Bellevue, Redmond, and Kirkland, which has very limited funding. The hours are Wednesdays from 2:00-4:00 pm.
    They do not serve any other East King County regions or cities at this time. More on Catholic Charities in Seattle.

University District Service League - They provide free food and groceries. The address of the non-profit is 413 NE 50th St. Seattle WA, 98105, and phone number is 206-523-7060. For those that need other funds, they do not offer it. Only food or groceries is offered, but find other rent programs.

Issaquah Church and Community Services covers the Issaquah school district area and they administer emergency financial assistance and grants to help with paying rent. Call (425) 391 - 0137.

Enumclaw Helping Hands offers rent help for people facing an eviction in Enumclaw, Washington. Dial (360) 825 - 6188.

Learn about rental assistance programs, and get referred to agencies and sources of aid from HSP Maintenance. Call them at (206) 461 - 3200. They work with 20 agencies across the area, and refer people to these groups for rent and move-in cost assistance.

Muckleshoot Family Resource Center in Auburn Washington offers emergency financial aid. It can be to pay rent to stop an eviction, to pay phone bills or to prevent a utility disconnection. Any support is for Muckleshoot tribal members only.  (253) 876-3336

Veterans of Foreign Wars Service Division and the Unmet Needs program is for King County service members facing a crisis. Aid is also for their immediate family members. Cash is provided, or maybe a zero percent interest loan, for rent, mortgage payments, home and car repairs, insurance, and utilities. The organization may also have food, groceries and basic clothing items. 915 2nd Ave VA, Seattle, WA, 98174. Call (866) 789-6333 for details. Proof of hardship and income is required.

YWCA of Seattle and King County offers housing crisis solutions. They offer referrals, financial aid for rental costs and case management to families facing eviction. The main office can be reached at (206) 209-5677 and is located at 3800 S Myrtle St The Willows in Seattle.

Wellspring Housing Stabilization Services – Provides coverage in the city of Seattle. Case management, limited financial assistance, landlord/tenant mediation and advocacy is available. They offer a homeless prevention program and referrals to other charities and permanent housing units in King County. (206) 902-4271

Maple Valley Food Bank and Emergency Services serves the cities of Black Diamond, Covington, Hobart, Maple Valley, Ravensdale, and within the Tahoma School District. The non-profit has a food pantry and also provides utility bill assistance, rent help, and other aid.

The center is an outreach site for the LIHEAP and PSE Help Energy assistance programs. They also offer Special Programs including School Supply distribution, free Holiday Food, and Children's Christmas Gift Program. They also provide eviction prevention and move-in assistance, at most once every two years. Dial (425) 432 - 8139.

People who live in South King County, including Kent, SeaTac, Renton, and Tukwila can contact the Multi-Service Center at (253) 893 - 0024. They provide cash grants for rent and emergency expenses.

A number of other services are available from MSC. The agency provides employment services, including classes for GED testing and job placement. The center also operates subsidized housing and may be able to referral clients to security deposit programs for the move in costs on a new apartment. Other programs from MSC in King County include clothing, free food from pantries, shelters, and more. Read South King County Multi-Service Center programs.

Neighborhood House Helpline provides up to $75 to people. The money can be used for paying utility bills, rent, and heating costs. Dial (206) 767 - 7124.

Friends of Youth only supports East and North King County. Applicants need to be single and under the age of 25 or families with children, including single moms. All of the financial aid is limited and paid out on a case by case basis.

When there is funding, they try to stop homelessness of that target groups. There may be Foreclosure and Mortgage Assistance from counselors as part of case management, and staff work closely with homeowners who are behind on their mortgage to help them avoid foreclosure in East and North King Counties. Mortgage counselors will offer information on the foreclosure process. In addition, they can provide one-to-one assistance to secure community resources, negotiate with lenders for repayment strategies, and help the homeowner develop a household budget. Find additional ways to get mortgage help.

Friends of Youth has very limited, case by case grants for housing and rent help. A Housing Stability program can provide renters and homeowners with one-time loans and/or cash grants. This funding is for tenants and homeowners who are in danger of being evicted or who are facing a foreclosure due to short-term financial difficulties.

In addition, it also provides grants and loans to homeless individuals and families who need assistance moving to permanent housing. So, first month’s rent, connection fees or a deposit may be qualified for partial payment. There is also limited assistance for other types of moves.  All of this is known as Best Starts for Kids Homelessness Prevention, and the charity is at 13116 NE 132nd St, Kirkland, WA, 98034. Call (425) 553-6139.

There are, from time to time, programs that offer transportation in Seattle. One example is Working Wheels. This is a service that sells affordable, quality used cars to eligible job seekers and workers who are having transportation challenges that is putting them at risk of losing a job. In addition, it can support those low-income families if a lack of transportation is making it difficult to accept a new job opportunity. More on Ways to Work cars for employment.

University Churches Emergency Fund. This Seattle organization, which can be reached at (206)524-7885, may be able to provides financial assistance, grants, and aid to people in need residing in Northeast Seattle and may also be able to help the homeless. Also provides eviction protection to keep individuals and families from being evicted. Can help people move into housing.

Cancer Lifeline offers limited financial assistance to cancer patients, no matter their diagnosis. They also provide general emotional support. Medical supplies and basic living needs such as unpaid rent may qualify for assistance. (800) 255-5505

King County Jewish Family Service can assist the less fortunate and seniors. Some resources are for the general population and others are just for the Jewish faith. Some of the assistance includes vouchers for the homeless to pay for lodging or limited emergency financial aid for other low-income families. A Supported Living Program is for Seattle Washington individuals with a disability and the elderly can look into home delivered meals. Other aid is available too, and learn more Jewish Family Service of Seattle.

Federal Way Community Caregiving Network runs many programs. The center provides limited bus tickets when available as well as emergency rent and move in assistance. They may also have motel vouchers for one to two nights during extreme emergencies. Information and referral to other community resources in King County is available too. (253) 661 - 0505

Interim CDA and their Homelessness Prevention program is for immigrants and refugees living in the city of Seattle. Assistance may be offered to those who are at imminent risk of being evicted or foreclosed on. The agency will try to help them secure stable housing and prevent homelessness. 601 S King St Suite 305, Seattle, Washington, 98104, dial (206) 623-5132

Utility discounts – Most companies offer this to low income seniors over the age of 60 or so. There also tends to be support for adults with documented disabilities. Call your utility or gas company to inquire into a reduced rate.

Tanks by Dallas is a charity organization that may occasionally be able to deliver free home heating oil to the working poor or less fortunate. Note the resources are limited and there is usually a waiting list in place. (206) 363-1278

The state of Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission provides information and referrals. They can answer customer questions on the Washington state utility disconnection moratorium, provide referrals to programs such as weatherization, and other support. Payment plans may also be required in some cases. Learn about the laws and your rights as to utility matters. (888) 333-9882

Capitol Hill Community Resource Center - Helps low income, working poor, and homeless. Applicants of the center may be able to get aid with free food, housing, slightly used or new clothing and transportation, as well as dental, medical and mental health care services.

HELPLINES - As noted above, there are a few of these located across King County. Each relies on donations and volunteers, and the services assist struggling families. There may be linkage to food pantries or grants for paying certain bills, or applications to benefits such as SSDI. Callers tend to be the unemployed or vulnerable, such as single parents or senior citizens living on a fixed income. Continue Reading on Helpline Services in Seattle.

Bellevue LifeSpring – If you have an eviction notice, or utility disconnection, this organization may be able to offer emergency assistance towards paying rent and utilities. Utilities bill assistance includes water, electricity and gas. Residents can usually apply at most once every 3 years. (425) 451 – 1175

Each town or city in the King County Washington region has an emergency assistance program in place. Funds may be offered to help pay rent (if you have an eviction notice and may become homeless) or money can pay utility bills if faced with a disconnection.

  • City of Bellevue: 450 110th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA, 98004 Telephone:(425) 452-5285
  • City of Auburn: 25 W Main St, Auburn, WA, 98001 Dial for help (253) 931-3000
  • DSHS Federal Way: 616 S 348th St, Federal Way, WA, 9800, telephone (877) 501-2233
  • City of Issaquah: 130 E Sunset Way, Issaquah, Washington, 98027 Telephone: (425) 392-2381
  • City of Kirkland: 123 5th Ave Kirkland City Hall, Kirkland, WA, 98033 Phone:(425) 587-3150
  • City of Redmond: 15670 NE 85th St, Redmond, Washington, 98052. Dial the center at (425) 556-2152

City of Seattle - Human Services Department - Mayor's Office for Senior Citizens offers a discount on utility bills to seniors and people with disabilities. Get up to about a 50% discount. 810 3rd Ave Suite 350, Seattle, Washington, 98104 Phone:(206) 684-0268

Way Back Inn – If you live in Renton or Tukwila, you can apply for rent or energy bill assistance. Call (206) 682-7382

DSHS - Community Services Offices - Low-income families, unemployed, refugees, pregnant women and people with temporary disabilities can apply for financial assistance. Programs offered include TANF/WorkFirst, AREN, Disability Lifeline, Food Stamps, Diversion Cash Assistance, Section 8 and Refugee Assistance. Call (877) 501-2233

Kent United Methodist Church – Focuses only on people in the Kent School District. Apply for eviction prevention assistance, help with paying energy/water bill shut-offs, and aid is for residents who are seniors, or who have disabilities. Address- 11010 SE 248th St, Kent, Washington, 98030

Seattle/King County Area Agency on Aging and Disability Services provides assistance to senior citizens and the disabled of any age. Some of the direct programs administered include government employment from SCSEP, transportation and free meals. Many other referrals are provided, including information on free prescription medications, government benefits, legal assistance and health screening. Location is 700 5th Ave # 5800, Seattle, Washington 98104, (206) 684-0660. More senior assistance programs in Washington.

Short term housing, including free shelters and homeless prevention services, are widely available in King County. Non-profits and government agencies will help families facing eviction locate and pay for new, permanent housing. Also provided will be programs such as case management, job training, food, and other basic needs and financial aid. Click more details on transitional housing in King County and Seattle.

Free educational materials, school supplies, uniforms, and items for children are generally given away during the summer and early fall months. These back to school programs are offered by many local and regional charities in the region. More on Seattle and King County free school supplies.

King County Department of Community and Human Services - Veterans' Program. Assistance is only offered for veterans. Get access to free food, shelter, groceries, utilities, assistance for heating bills, eviction prevention, employment related expenses, move-in costs, medical, gas and prescriptions. Even hotel and motel vouchers may be offered. Address - 123 3rd Ave S Walthew Building, Suite 300, Seattle, WA, 98104 Dial (206) 296-7656

Government Programs and Human Services - The King County DCHS is focused on helping individuals gain self-sufficiency. So residents can receive short term emergency cash assistance, such as TANF, as well as food and medical care. At the same time, they will be signed up for job training and employment programs and services. More details on King County Washington public assistance.

North Helpline – If you have a disconnection notice, this non-profit may be able to help those residents of ZIP codes in King County of 98115, 98125, 98133, 98155, 98177. Address: 12736 33rd Ave NE, Seattle, WA, 98125 Phone number of the center is (206) 365-8043

West Seattle Helpline – An Emergency Assistance program is run. It may be able to offer limited financial assistance for paying for utilities (excluding telephone), bus tickets, and heating fuel West Seattle working families. Office is at 6516 35th Ave SW Suite 204, Seattle, Washington, 98126 Phone - (206) 932-4357

Centerstone of Seattle provides a number of services in the region. In fact, this non-profit may have one of the most extensive number of resources available for financial aid, referrals, free food, and housing. Some of the programs are funded and administered by Centerstone, and others are offered by referrals.

  • Low income housing is one that is available with partners such as Seattle Housing Authority and Plymouth Housing Group.
  • Eviction prevention and utility service disconnection grants may be offered, including PSE Help, weatherization, and emergency rent help from loans of other funding sources.
  • A pantry may have free food or applications for benefits such as SNAP or WIC
  • Other aid and low-income programs are offered by the organization. Find more financial resources from Centerstone.
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul - Council of Seattle Area. Limited financial support available for paying heating bills and utilities. Several other resources are available for poor, unemployed, and other qualified King County residents. They include self-sufficiency programs, such as housing and employment assistance. Basic health care and medications may be offered. Or even qualify for basic needs such as clothing, food, gasoline vouchers and more. Referrals are offered to state and federal government public aid too. Dial (206) 767-6449, or read St. Vincent Seattle assistance programs.
Shoreline Community Care may be able to help. Note that any grants will be sent directly to the landlord or utility company. Volunteers and churches in King County also participate. In-person interviews and follow-up also take place. The charity may be able to help with utilities, rent, and food. (206) 496-3116
Tolt Congregational United Church of Christ issues vouchers for food, rent, utilities, prescription medications and gasoline for Snoqualmie Valley residents only. Most of this is done from the Good Neighbor Fund. 4851 Tolt Ave, Carnation, Washington, 98014, telephone (425) 333-4254
Vashon Youth & Family Services has an eviction prevention program/rent help. (206) 463-5511
Vine Maple Place and the Stable Families Program offers case management, stabilization and general financial assistance for low-income single-parent families in imminent danger of eviction. (425) 432-2119
YWCA of Seattle/King County/Snohomish County - Holly Park Project may offer help as a last resort for people that have exhausted all resources elsewhere. Work with a staff member from the organization to develop and implement goals that will lead to economic self-sufficiency and get assistance in maintaining a permanent residence. Also, workshops can help improve parenting, personal and professional skills. (206) 209-5677
Free holiday assistance programs can help the needy at Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Families, seniors, and children may receive free gifts, toys, gifts, and meals. Numerous King County non-profits will assist residents that need help around the holidays. More on Free holiday and Christmas help in King County.
St. Luke's Operation Blessing – Apply for help up to twice per year. The church organization provides assistance with paying rent (eviction prevention and move-in expenses), mortgage payments and energy bills, such as gas, electricity and water. Help is offered when in emergencies only. Address - 515 S 312th St, Federal Way, Washington, 98003
Free or low-cost furniture for a home or apartment may be available in King County. It is costly enough to live in the city and county. Household supplies, beds, couches, and the like just add to the cost. Find how to get free furniture.
El Centro De La Raza focuses on the low income and immigrants. Several emergency assistance programs may be available to the public. They offer crisis aid for those facing a hardship, and this can include funds for housing, rent or eviction prevention. Legal Clinics can offer low cost, or maybe free advice. Several other resources may be offered in King County from El Centro such as free income tax assistance food pantries, employment assistance, and career counseling. Read El Centro De La Raza programs.
Volunteers of America Western Washington - The national non-profit covers all of the county. Examples of programs include free gasoline vouchers for work reasons or free food from a pantry. The disabled may get help from VOA Supported Living Program. There is also loans or funds to pay rent from VOA homeless prevention and other aid, such as dental care. Continue with VOA in western Washington.

 Share & Care House focuses on addressing the lack of affordable housing and also homeless prevention services. The King County non-profit can help families apply for government grants for rent help, they administer self-sufficiency through Independent Families, and even operate transitional housing such as Independence House. Find more details on Share and Care House assistance.

Basic needs in Seattle including clothing may be distributed to low income families at little or no cost. Clothing distribution centers and closets, which rely on donations, may pass out free winter coats, shoes, baby supplies, offer Christmas assistance and more. There are also back to school supply distribution events. Many children, job seekers, and others who are struggling in King County are the main beneficiaries. Click more details on free clothes and School supplies in King County.

Randolph Carter Family Center administers several programs for the working poor, unemployed and low income. They include utility bill assistance, rent, security deposit, and move-in cost assistance. Other services include free food, meals, bus tickets, and vouchers for motels. Seattle, WA, 98144, main phone number is (206) 328 - 5724.

Local churches in King County and Seattle help the poor. There is assistance for many needs, including funds for bills, gas vouchers, overnight shelter and more. Counseling can also be arranged by a church to get people back on track. Recipients may be immigrants, the underemployed, and homeless among others. More on King County church assistance programs.

Rapid rehousing and grants to stop homelessness are available to deal with a crisis. Tenants that are struggling, or families living in or near poverty can receive financial help. There are also housing programs for single moms and homes with children that live there.

Based on HUD allotments, the qualified applicant in King County can receive emergency money for paying their rent. If the eviction is caused by unpaid water or electric bills, then help may be provided for those expenses too. More on homeless prevention in Seattle and King County.

Bar Association of King County provides both seniors and low-income families with free legal support or representation. Some of what may be arranged is advice for tenants facing eviction or households having their utilities shut off. Help may also be arranged for individuals applying for benefits such as disability. Other legal aid in Seattle includes Kinship Care, assistance with dent collectors, and more. Learn how to get legal aid from King County Bar Association.

Free Health Care is offered. Some non-profits, such as Hopelink, can offer referrals as well as locations of health and dental clinics in the area. They assist adults, children, immigrants, and those in need of care. These locations can offer free or low-cost medical care to the low income and/or uninsured. Read more and find locations of King County free community clinics.

Seattle Milk Fund - Vouchers are offered for shoes, there are grants for child care available for low income families and college students, food, and more. Phone number is 206-526-7944.

New parents, whether they are married or single moms or dads, can get free diapers, infant formula, and supplies. There are income restrictions in place, and some of the agencies will even help in an emergency. These are mostly donation run services, so resources are limited. Find free baby supplies and diapers in King County.

Water and sewer bills discounts and payment plans - Whether you need help with paying your water, sewer, or trash bills, some programs may be available to help. Qualified customers can save money from a monthly discount, or receive direct cash assistance. Learn more water bill help in Seattle.

Agencies that offer emergency rental assistance. While a number of resources are listed above, there are other places to turn to for help. For example, King County charities, churches, and non-profits may offer applications to government grants for paying a security deposit or housing costs. Find additional agencies that focus on rental assistance in Seattle. Contact them for grants, advice, and general housing counseling.